Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Kitchen Tip Tuesday

Today's tip is a bit different.  When we bought our house 4 years ago, we quickly discovered that our cabinet tops were just contact paper over very very worn out formica.  Just not having the money to replace them at the time we have used two things that have been fairly quick fixes.  First we used peel and stick floor tiles, it took less than a full box of them (10.00 at the dollar store here)  That lasted about a year then the water on the cabinets caused the tile to start lifting.  If I had to do it again I probably would have sealed the tiles after they were down to prevent that.

Next we used what I call "shower board" it is a board that people use in the shower, water proof, usually has a design on it Like imitation tiles, etc. 
It has last about 3 years now, it is starting to look pretty banged up though.  It cost us like 14.97 for the sheet and one sheet did the whole counter top.  (4x8 sheets) Now I will be selling my house and know I need to do a bit of cosmetic to help sell the house and I think I will buy a peice of formica and just glue it down.  I also thinking seriously about facing the cabinet doors with bead board.  I think this could all be done fairly inexpensively.  That is my tip for Kitchen Tip Tuesday!!

3 comments:

  1. interesting. When I was living at home, and we moved to Kansas, the house my parents bought had ugly red linoleum on the counter top. That was soon changed though. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I wish we lived closer. (how many times have I said that now?) Cabinet work, my dear, is our specialty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you lived closer too Shelly...me too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on Cindy's Tips and Hints, please note any comments with profanity will be deleted, also spam comments will be deleted.