Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Grocery Shopping..

So I am a bad blogger, all the way around, I cut back on book reviews and I have blogged here since April.  I will try to do better.
I want to talk about grocery shopping, and share my list of what I bought and what type of meals I will cook from the items I bought.
Kroger has really stepped up with their new lower prices, plus the free Friday AND the e-coupons have been great.  I have saved over 554.00 using my Kroger card this year alone.  And I have redeemed 28.89 in e-coupons, and that is really just since they started the new lower price thing (about 4 months) So I have a family of 3 adults, 2 men (50 yo, 20yo) and myself  I rarely spend over 80.00 and I don't shop every week, I didn't shop last week.

Today's Trip
6 Gala apples 3 for .99 1.98
6 Granny smith apples 3 for .99 1.98
Kroger Large 18 count eggs 2.86
Kroger Big K Root beer 12 pack 2.49
Kroger Milk 3 half gallons for 5.00  5.00
Sunbeam Bread 2.69  (yes I know Kroger bread is only 1.00 but we dont like it)
Doritos 2 for 4.00 4.00
Kroger 3 pound bag of chicken breast 6.99
Kroger Frozen Beef Ravioli 2.99
Kroger Shredded Mozeralla Cheese 2.00
Orville Redenbacher Kettle Korn 2.49 (but was free after e-coupon)
Kroger cake mix 1.00
Kroger Smoked Sausage 2.50
Vo5 shampoo .79
Kroger Peanut Butter (large one) 3.85
Kroger 4 lb sugar 2.29
Kroger Vinegar 1.69
Sales Tax 1.73
Total spent 46.83

ok..meals we will eat from this...
Baked Ravioli topped with mozeralla cheese
Jambalaya using half of the kroger smoke sausage and probably 3 chicken breasts
chicken and dumplings using probably 3 more chicken breasts (uses milk)
Red beans and rice using the other half of the smoked sausage
Apple crumble using granny smith apples, with the cake mix
peanut butter with apples
peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (with doritos and root beer)
scrambled eggs and toast
chicken and rice using up the last of the chicken breast (usually I get 3 to 4 meals out of a 3 pound bag of breasts)
Yes I will use pantry items to round out these meals..
But I easily see 5 to 6 meals here, all for 46.83  lets count my pbj's and chips as a meal (they would be lunch on Saturday afternoon or Sunday evening.  that is 6 meals that I got out of the 46.83 spent. (yes I used pantry items for this, but those costs were figured in when they were bought, for the meals out of that bill of groceries.  So 46.83 divided by 6 is 7.81 for six meals to feed 3 people each meal, and there are generally always left overs eaten for lunches during the week.  I am happy with that number..Yes it could be lower.  And I believe technically it would be lower because I should divide by how many meal it made for one person So not factoring in leftovers at all 6x3=18 so 46.83/18 equals 2.61 cents per meal, and if I knew how to factor in left overs I am sure it would be closer to 2.00 a meal.  Yes we could eat cheaper, but we do well with what we have.  I would love to hear from you to give more ideas of meal ideas you see from this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on Cindy's Tips and Hints, please note any comments with profanity will be deleted, also spam comments will be deleted.