Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Fall, fall, fall...

Leaves are falling, some of them havent even changed colors yet and still they are falling. It has been very rainy and cool here this week, definitely not our normal temps. But NO complaints here, I am loving it!!

Even though I am very very cold natured, I love winter weather better than summer, dont get me wrong I love summer too, going to the river and swimming, heating up on a rock..LOL but you know there comes a point in the summer where you have to stop taking off clothes (and still be decent and law abiding) So far as I can tell there are no laws about how many clothes you wear though in the winter..LOL Plus I love the smell of wood smoke in the air. Yeah there are still lots of folks heating with wood, I wish I had a wood heater, I love wood heat. At least I have natural gas heaters (infr red ones) instead of central heat. I never get warm with central heat.

I am craving a glass of cold apple cider (prefer fresh, but probably wont get that) I love cold apple cider, dont care for it warmed up though. Yesterday I had a cup of hot cocoa, the first of the season for me...it was yummy!!

Today's hint
Menu planning saves time and money (it will keep you from picking up fast food) However if you add in the equation of using your sales ads, to plan your menus, you will save even more money. By serving meals based around the sales, you have saved more money, and your time. If you don't get sales ads in the mail, remember lots of stores now have their ads online. I dont live near the closest Kroger, but my husband goes to school right on the same block, so I check the online ad, to see if there is a great sale, and then I send him, with my coupons and a list (he is much better at staying on the list than I am) when they have a great sale. Take advantage of online sales papers.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure loving this weather, too, Cindy! We heat with only wood and I won't be surprised if we have to build a fire by this weekend!

    I try to shop and plan around the sales, too. I usually make one big shopping trip and then buy only sales items the rest of the month. Sometimes it works~sometimes not. With the price of grceries, it is getting harder to stick to my budget. I guess I'm going to have to start re-thinking a lot of the items that we eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem with menu planning is actually getting to the grocery store before it closes. I got it done this week, thank goodness! Menu planning is usually healthier too as must times more stuff is home made :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weather here is quite crisp in the morning, now. I love it and my hens think it is great after a hot, humid, rainy summer.

    The key to sale shopping is to also use coupons with the sale items. This will increase your savings greatly. I get many of my coupons from the Sunday paper, on line coupon sites, magazines at the dentist or doctors office ect. I am always on the look out for coupons for items that I use. I have even been known to email the companies of items that I like and complement their product. Most will send you coupons for the item with out your asking directly for it. Just remember to provide your mailing address in your email so they know where to send the coupons.

    My supermarket also gives credits for cents off on gasoline at local gas stations. This is based on the amount you spend, 10 cents for every $50 you spend, and it is cumulative. I wait until I have earned $1 or more and then bring our most thirsty vehicle and gas cans so that I can get the full 20 gallons allowed.

    I try to squeeze every bit of value from our grocery dollar.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on Cindy's Tips and Hints, please note any comments with profanity will be deleted, also spam comments will be deleted.